What happens at the Consultation?
First they listen:
At the consultation the lawyers learn the nature of your case, discuss possible defences to your criminal charge and learn what you aim to achieve. This is your opportunity to tell your side of the story to an experienced lawyer.
Second they advise:
After hearing the facts, the lawyers will define the legal issues that apply to your case, discuss the court process and provide guidance on how to best deal with your case.
Third they intervene, defend, and protect:
Finally, our lawyers will give you a straightforward analysis of what you can expect and how they will obtain the best possible outcome for you.
What happens at the First Meeting?
To prepare for the first meeting gather all relevant papers and any documents which may be evidence in your case. Bring any documents that you were issued by the police officer or any documents you received in the mail. If you know of witnesses, make a list of their names and contact information.
What is the First Appearance?
Typically on the first court appearance our law office appears for you in court so you do not need to attend if you have retained Mickelson & Whysall. Mickelson & Whysall informs the court that you have retained their Vancouver Law Office to represent you. They collect a copy of the case disclosure and apply to adjourn your case for several weeks so that they may study the police reports and determine your best defence.
Do I need to attend court?
If you retain one of the lawyers at Mickelson & Whysall we appear at all of the interim court appearances for you. It is not necessary for you to attend court and miss out on work. The only time that you would be required to attend is to sign bail variations, for a trial or for sentencing.
Why don’t I just plead guilty?
- Criminal law defences are often very technical. Even if you feel that you’ve done something wrong, you may have a technical defence. Often, if the case is properly defended, the prosecution may not be able to prove the allegations beyond a reasonable doubt.
- Often people may wonder if it’s better to plead guilty and take the punishment. But what if there’s a technical defence that only a lawyer could find? What if you’re innocent? What if the punishment is much worse than the crime? What if a conviction will ruin your life? What if the court fails to understand your circumstances?
- A criminal lawyer is a professional at dealing with criminal offences. At Mickelson & Whysall Vancouver Criminal Law Firm they use all the technical and legal defences available to put you in a better position – to beat the criminal charges.
- From a financial perspective, a criminal conviction can lower your income for your entire life, impact your social status, reduce your right to travel and limit your future. You should never plead guilty unless you have thoroughly discussed your matter with a qualified criminal lawyer and received proper legal advice.
Can I have my fingerprints and photographs destroyed?
It is a usual part of the court process for peace officers to take your photograph and fingerprints if you have been charged with an offence. Upon successfully defeating the criminal charges, or a stay of proceedings, our Vancouver Law Firm can apply to the police department to have the fingerprints and photographs destroyed. Written confirmation of the destruction is obtained and given to our clients.
What are your fees?
- Determining the cost of defending a case or conducting an appeal will depend upon a number of factors. The lawyers of Mickelson & Whysall take into account the complexity of your matter and the legal objective when quoting you the fees.
- Fees are always discussed at the first meeting after the lawyer you meet with is able to understand the potential complexities of the case. We find that in most criminal matters, a fixed fee is the fairest way to bill a client. Once the lawyer fully understands your matter, a written confirmation of the legal fees will be provided to you so that you can be confident that there will be no extra expenses.
- At Mickelson & Whysall the lawyers pride themselves on being fair and responsible when billing their clients. Mickelson & Whysall provides the exceptional service while remaining conscious of their clients’ budgets.
- The lawyers of Mickelson & Whysall do not charge for the first phone or in office consultation. We want our potential clients to feel comfortable contacting our office.
- We accept Cash, Cheque, Visa, MasterCard, Interac, and e-Transfer